The beautiful sunshine today (and large cup of dark coffee) has inspired me to do some major washing. The best part of washing all those blankets, rugs, and even curtains is being able to hang them up on the line. There are few things in this world that beat the smell of line-dried sheets, especially when washed with chemical free detergent. Unfortunately natural laundry detergents can be pricey! Here's a few recipes for easy to make, affordable laundry detergent that will leave your wallet and your skin feeling happy.
Lemon Scented Laundry Powder
1/2-4 tablespoons essential oil (Rosemary, Lavender, Orange, and Tea Tree also work great)
1 cup Borax
1 cup Washing Soda
1 bar soap
1. Mix oil and borax thoroughly by hand. A blender also works great, but the oil will
leave a residue that is hard to clean.
2. Use a grater and shave the bar of soap (I like Dr. Bronners) into fine pieces.
3. Mix above two ingredients with washing soda (available in grocery stores) Note:
This is different from Baking Soda!
4. Store in air-tight containers, and use 1-2 tablespoons per load.
Rosemary Stain Pretreatment
1/2-4 tablespoons Rosemary Essential Oil
1 cup dishwashing liquid
1. Combine essential oil with dishwashing liquid in spray bottle
2. Apply to stains on damp fabric and scrub gently. Allow to set for 20 minutes, then
wash in cold water.
*This works great on a number of different stains. Be sure to use cold water, as hot water sets stains.
~Kristin Henningsen, M.S., R.Y.T.
I am constantly amazed by the healing power of yoga and herbs. They inspire me to heal, to write, to teach, and to keep exploring.